Navratri is just coming and people celebrate this festival with joy. It is observed for different reasons and celebrated differently in various parts of the Indian continent. Fasting during Navratri is considered very sacred and it is done to propitiate Goddess Durga and to seek her blessings. Apart from the religious aspect of it, even scientifically it helps purify the body by flushing out the excess toxins. However, those people who have diabetes and if they want to fast for Navrati so these kinds of people must need special care.
This is specially concerning cause that in India maximum population is suffering from diabetes and people believe in fasting. During fast many kinds of people suffer from complications. Here, Dr. Pankaj Aggarwal, Senior Homeopathic Physician from Agrawal Homeo Clinic is sharing some tips to control diabetes in Navratri:-
1. The Common saying ‘Too much of anything is bad’ holds true for diabetes too. If you are a patient of diabetes, you should avoid both overindulgence in food as well as fasting.
If it is a personal choice for religious reasons then it is not advisable to take long breaks. It is recommended to take some low carb snacks approximately two to two and a half-hourly intervals. This will maintain your blood glucose levels under stipulated limits.
Dr. Pankaj Aggarwal, Senior Homeopathic Physician from Agrawal Homeo Clinic is sharing a few important tips to control steep variations in sugar levels during fasting
1. The Common saying ‘Too much of anything is bad’ holds true for diabetes too. If you are a diabetic you should avoid both overindulgence in food as well as strict fasting. If you want to fast by your own choice or for religious reasons you must follow some precautions. Do not take long breaks between food or snacks. Please eat low carb snacks approximately two to two and a half hourly intervals . This will maintain your blood glucose levels under stipulated limits.
2. Anything below 80 mg per percentage is an alarm bell and you should end your fast immediately and eat some snack to raise sugar levels to acceptable levels.
3. If you are fasting as a diabetic please eat slow absorbing foods that have low glycemic index prior to fasting. These food items keep your blood glucose level regulated during the fast.
4. If you hit a low energy level during the fast avoid drinking too much tea or coffee. Instead drink plenty of water and sugar free beverages like lemonade, coconut water, buttermilk, etc. These can also be taken throughout the day in limited quantities.
5. During the fast Diabetics can choose food items like – roasted phool makhana, roasted peanuts, paneer, water chestnuts (singhara), pumpkin raita, kheera raita. Amaranth flour can also be used for making chapatis. Potatoes should be avoided.
6.Please check your blood sugar levels in the first few hours and at regular intervals during the entire period of fasting to monitor and ensure sugar levels are stable.
7. Diabetes who are taking insulin may have to adjust the dosage of insulin as its requirement may come down to 4%.or more.
In case of severe dip in energy levels with symptoms of low feeling, trembling, giddiness and hunger pangs and such similar signs please take a teaspoon of sugar immediately and reach medical help for any further advice.