New Delhi, December 26, 2022: Taboola, a global leader in powering recommendations for the open web, helping people discover things they may like, today released the readership insights for the year 2022. Using Topic Insights, Taboola Newsroom used real-time audience analytics to discover some of the interesting and trending topics that caught Indian readers’ attention during the year.
From Droupadi Murmu becoming the 15th president of India and the first person from the tribal community to helm the highest constitutional post, to the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup, one of the most important sports events for cricket fans in India, and India holding the Presidency of the 2022 G20 Summit, this was one of those years where a lot of enthralling developments took place and the daily news cycle skyrocketed.
There are endless headlines from Taboola’s news, entertainment, sports, health & fitness, and business insights to read on the open web. Not only that, but Taboola took a deep dive into its 2022 publisher data to highlight which were the interesting topics that kept its readers intrigued and accumulated the most pageviews across its network. Taboola shares these news insights with its publisher partners through its proprietary Newsroom tool, to give the editorial team insights into what 1.4 billion people are reading about. Here are some of the key insights revealed from the readership trends for the year 2022:
1. General News: On August 18, 2022, Nitin Gadkari, India’s Minister of Road Transport and Highways, unveiled India’s first air-conditioned bus at the YB Center in Mumbai. The double-decker bus is named ‘Switch EiV 22’ and has been designed, developed, and manufactured in India, offering the highest safety and best-in-class comfort. It saw 1,156,727,300 pageviews on the Taboola Newsroom.
2. Entertainment News: From RRR to Brahmastra, the year 2022 has been an interesting year for movies. People were curious to know about the release dates, casts, songs, and trailers. Furthermore, the readers were also excited to find out which films will be released in theatres, and which will be streamed on numerous OTT platforms, and it witnessed more than 908,050,650 pageviews during the year.
3. Sports News: From July 28 to August 8, 2022, India competed in the 2022 Commonwealth Games in Birmingham, England, and it was India’s 18th appearance where the Indian athletes won a total of 61 medals: 22 gold, 16 silver, and 23 bronze. This saw 125,659,400 pageviews on the Taboola newsroom. Similarly, the FIFA World Cup 2022 was one of the most important sports events this year, as Indian football fans were eager to seek details about the important matches from the tournament, which resulted in garnering 142,990,500 pageviews.
4. Health & Fitness News: This year, there were multiple news stories about the increase in heart attacks, where incidents of young people and celebrities were reported. This created a strong awareness amongst people, resulting in 156,761,850 pageviews about risks and necessary preventions around health that one should take to stay fit and healthy.
5. Business News: The global layoffs at the social networking platform have significantly impacted the Twitter India team, with the majority of the approximately 250-member team being fired just a week after Elon Musk purchased the company for $44 billion, which saw 104,317,150 pageviews. However, Mukesh Ambani’s resignation from the board of Reliance Jio Infocomm in June 2022 was also one of the important business stories that witnessed 63,381,950 pageviews.
All insights come from Taboola’s Newsroom product suite, which uses AI and the largest dataset on the open web to support quality journalism. The world’s largest publishers are using Taboola Newsroom as part of Taboola’s platform, to increase readership and more effectively monetize.