Home » Blog » Critical Delays in Stroke Care: 80% Suffer Disability Due to Missed ‘Golden Hour

Critical Delays in Stroke Care: 80% Suffer Disability Due to Missed ‘Golden Hour

Mumbai- According to India’s Ministry of Health, brain stroke is the second leading cause of death worldwide. Nowadays, people between the ages of 30 and 50 are suffering from brain stroke due to changed lifestyle, diet, Alcohol addiction, diabetes, high blood pressure and mental stress. When the blood supply to the brain stops or the brain suddenly bleeds, it is called a ‘brain stroke’. After having a brain stroke, 30 to 40 percent of patients in India do not consult a brain specialist for the next 18 to 24 hours, so the rate of brain damage, long-term disability, paralysis and death due to stroke is increasing. as per data revealed by Josh’s Neurotrauma Center located in Thane. One citizen dies every second in India due to brain stroke. Giving more information about this, Dr. Joshi‘s Neurotrauma Center Director and Senior Neurosurgeon.

brain

Dr. Vinayak Joshi says,” No matter how much modernity we talk about, we have very little awareness about brain diseases. After having a brain stroke, many patients and their relatives rush to the nearest clinic or seek treatment in a general hospital and the “golden hour” passes in all this rush. The patient can survive the sequelae of a stroke if treatment is given to them during the “golden hour.” The golden hour for stroke is the first 3 hours following the onset of symptoms. Without this, one may experience permanent brain injury, which is damage to the brain tissue that cannot be repaired. Understanding the symptoms of brain stroke and getting treatment immediately can save lives. 90 percent of strokes are due to blocked blood vessels (ischemic) and the remaining 10 percent are due to internal bleeding. As soon as symptoms of stroke appear, treatment should be started under the guidance of a neurologist in a hospital with modern facilities such as city scan, X-ray and operation theater. Thrombolysis treatment can save a patient’s life within three to four hours. Often after a brain stroke, the relatives of the patient waste the first 10 to 12 hours due to which the patient is permanently disabled, like they are unable to speak later in life and due to paralysis some patients depend on their family later in life to avoid all these symptoms of brain stroke It is necessary to identify and consult a brain disorder specialist and start treatment immediately.”

Sudden confusion, difficulty speaking or understanding words, numbness or weakness on one side of the body, sudden severe headache for no apparent reason, sudden change in vision in one or both eyes, difficulty walking, dizziness or loss of balance are the precursors of a brain stroke. If there are symptoms, consult a neurologist as soon as these symptoms occur, added Dr. Vinayak Joshi, Neurotrauma Center Director and Senior Neurosurgeon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *