Manipal Institute of Technology, MAHE launches a new program: B.Tech. in Mathematics and Computing
Bengaluru, 12th May 2023: Manipal Institute of Technology, a constituent unit of Manipal, MAHE, one of India’s premier higher education institutions, has launched an undergraduate program in B. Tech in Mathematics and Computing which is conceived and offered by the Department of Mathematics in collaboration with the Department of Data Science and Computer Applications.
This program is designed by combining topics from mathematical, computer science, and statistical applications. It was launched by Professor Arthur T. Benjamin during his visit to MAHE on 3rd March 2023 and will be implemented from the academic year 2023- 24.
The purpose of this program allows graduates to gain theoretical knowledge along with practical training in mathematical, statistical, and scientific computing. The key highlight of this program is to provide a strong base in classical subjects to prepare the students for research programs and institutes in India as well as abroad. The program emphasises core subjects as well as specified topics to make the graduate industry ready and to achieve bright careers in reputed organizations.
Commenting on the launch of the new program, Dr. (Cdr) Anil Rana, Director of Manipal Institute of Technology, MAHE, said, “Through this new program, we aim to provide training in the application of mathematics to a wide range of problems. This program came to life after recognising the need for deep mathematics to be involved in both modern scientific investigations and technological advancements. We are hoping this course will help students widen their career prospects by opening positions in the corporate sector in the field of computer-assisted technologies, Indian Statistical Services Commission (ISSC), National Sample Survey Organization (NSSO), Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MOSPI), Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), and Statistical Officer (SO) in States Public Service Commission among others.”
Key features of the courses:
- Duration of the program: 8 semesters
- The graduates will gain theoretical knowledge of and practical training in mathematical, statistical, and scientific computing
- Open Electives from various departments across the institute during the 5th, 6th, and 7th semesters
- Program Electives from the Department of Mathematics, Department of Computer Science & Engineering, Department of Data Science & Computer Applications
- Minor Specializations focussed on contemporary themes: Applied Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics, Information Management and Analytics, Business Management, and Finance & Security Analytics
- Meritorious students with a CGPA of 8.5 and above at the end of the 5th semester can also opt for B.Tech. Honor